Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My 1st post, my 1st photos




I decided to post about a few of my pieces from when I was in high school. I miss these times. Though, I don't so much miss the times I suppose, as much as I do about how I felt about photography. Photography was a brand new field of discovery for me. I always swore I would never touch a camera to compose art as I was growing up. I was always and forever going to be a painter, or quite possibly an illustrator. Yet, in my goal to take every single art class my high school offered, I decided to in roll in "Introduction to Photography I" in my second semester of junior year. It was mysterious, and much more difficult to compose a decent photo than I could imagine. It was demanding and frustratingly perfect, and I feel head over heels in love. I knew, from the first time Mr. Hoffman, my photography teacher, praised one of my photos I worked so hard on to get "perfect", that photography and I would forever have a long, loving relationship.
Photography was a way for me to connect with my surroundings in a way I never before felt. It was and is primarily an explorative physical, and aesthetic means of expression. I find photography to be more so of a perforative experience than any other means of art for me. I had my $100 Japanese-brand-something-or-another 35mm with me almost all the time. It was my treasure.
I do not have my treasure anymore. It was stolen during my sophomore year of college. Since then, I have been using my D40 Nikon that I received as a high school graduation gift, but never before touched. It was like learning photography all over again. It was disheartening to say the least. I can say I still only know what 1/2 the dials, knobs, buttons, and switches on anything dealing with my digital work do. Yet, I am getting by.
If anyone feels I should post some more of my old art work, feel free to tell me, and I will. I happen to love some of my first photos more than anything I have ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment